Many seniors decide to downsize for retirement, and with good reason: there are several advantages to this kind of move. It encourages you to cull through the stuff you’ve accumulated through the years and see what you actually want to keep. It’s an opportunity to find a home you can age in safely. But perhaps most importantly, it allows you to define exactly how you want your golden years to look and feel.
If you’re not sure where to start, we’ve got you covered. We’ve gathered these resources to help you figure out where you want to live, how to downsize your items, and how to nail the moving process:
Buying and Selling in Retirement
You can make real estate moves, even after you’ve retired from your career:
- If you already own your home, you’ll get the full value of your sale to go toward your next property.
- If not, look into the process for getting a mortgage in retirement.
- A trusted real estate agent can guide you through the buying and selling process.
- Research your market to get a sense for how it’s reacting to COVID-19.
Finding Your Home
Where is your perfect retirement?
- Many seniors are interested in checking out retirement communities, where they’ll be surrounded by peers.
- Others prefer to find a nice property in a quiet neighborhood.
- Wherever you go, make sure you look for something with senior-friendly design features, so you can age there safely.
Tips for Downsizing and Moving
Let go of the junk that’s holding you back.
- Clean and declutter your home for an effective presentation, and in anticipation of your move.
- There are several different approaches you can take to downsizing—look into several and see what appeals to you most.
- Do a final audit of everything as you pack. You may find items that should have been cut earlier on.
- Research movers and costs to find someone trustworthy for the right price.
- Note moving services cost an average of $1,185.
Save these links so you can turn to them when you feel stuck. They’ll stay handy throughout the moving process and can help you avoid feeling overwhelmed along the way. Remember: downsizing is your opportunity to define this stage. Give it your all and create the retirement you deserve.
Article sourced and written by Andrea Needham
Sign Up For Email Alerts
Recieve new listings daily by signing up for Cressy Team email alerts. Email alerts will further customize your search for a new home.
Request a complimentary market analysis from the Cressy Team.
Open House Listings
Come see which properties in Marblehead and Swampscott have open houses this week!
Check our latest testimonials from people who have been in your position and who have enjoyed working with our team.
Sign up for email alerts
Recieve new listings daily through Cressy Team email alerts.